arrow_upward arrow_upward

Thailand Visa

  /  Thailand Visa

Travellers entering Thailand need to obtain a visa according to the purpose of their visit.

Tourist Visa

Visitor Visa for Tourism Purpose Only

Foreign citizens who wishes to enter the Kingdom of Thailand for tourism purposes are required to obtain a visa from a Royal Thai Embassy or a Royal Thai Consulate-General. However, nationals of certain countries do not require a visa if they meet visa exemption requirements as follows:


(1) they are nationals of countries which are exempted from visa requirements when entering Thailand for tourism purposes. Such nationals will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days. For more information, please see Summary of Countries and Territories entitled for Visa Exemption and Visa on Arrival to Thailand .


(2) they are nationals of countries which hold bilateral agreements with Thailand on the exemption of visa requirements. For more information, please see Summary of Countries and Territories entitled for Visa Exemption and Visa on Arrival to Thailand .


2. Nationals of certain countries may apply for visa upon arrival in Thailand. Travellers with this type of visa are permitted to enter and stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 15 days. For more information, please see Summary of Countries and Territories entitled for Visa Exemption and Visa on Arrival to Thailand .


3. Travellers travelling from/through countries which have been declared Yellow Fever Infected Areas must acquire an International Health Certificate verifying the receiving of a Yellow Fever vaccination. For more information, please see List of Countries which are Declared Yellow Fever Infected Areas.


4. Nationals of certain countries are required to apply for a visa only at the Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulate-General in the applicant’s country of residence, or at the Royal Thai Embassy which has jurisdiction over his or her country of residence. Travellers are advised to enquire about authorised office for visa issuance at any Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General before departure. Contact details and locations of Royal Thai Embassies and Royal Thai Consulates-General are available at


5. In general, applicants are required to apply for a visa in person. However, Royal Thai Embassies and Royal Thai Consulates-General in some countries and in some cases may also accept applications sent through representatives, authorised travel agencies or by post. Please enquire at the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General where you intend to submit your application of acceptable ways of application.


6. Please note that the period of visa validity is different from the period of stay. Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years. The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker.


7. On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa. For example, the period of stay for a transit visa is not exceeding 30 days, for a tourist visa is not exceeding 60 days per visit. The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp. Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extension of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok, located at Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889 or at an Immigration office located in the provinces. For information on application for extension of stay, see the Immigration Bureau website at

Non-Immigrant B (Business, Work)

Visa for Business, Investment or Employment in Thailand

A Non-Immigrant Visa “B” also known as Business Visa is for foreign nationals wishing to do business, or undertake investment within Thailand, or to take up employment in Thailand.


A foreigner needs to possess a work-permit to do a job in Thailand, and A Non-Immigrant Visa “B” is necessary to apply for a Thai Work Permit.


Thai Business Visas are available as single entry or multiple entry visas. A single entry Thai Business Visa will allow you to stay in Thailand for a period of up to 90 days, while a multiple entry Thai Business Visa will allow you stay in Thailand for a period of up to 1-year. When on a multiple entry visa you will be required to report your status or leave and re-enter Thailand on or within every 90 days.


You need to apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa “B” at a Thai embassy or consulate outside of Thailand, but you can renew and extend visa within Thailand.


Applications for a Non-Immigrant Visa “B” must be made at a Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Consulate within your country of citizenship or residency, outside of Thailand (with some exceptions that you can convert other Thai Visa to Non-Immigrant B visa within Thailand)


Application processes and documents required may vary somewhat in different countries and at different embassies and consulates, so it is very important that you must first check with the embassy or consulate you wish to make your application to, making sure there are no additional documents or application processes.


Before applying for a Non-Immigrant B Visa you must have secured an offer for employment, investment, or a formal invite to conduct business in Thailand, and be able to give documents of proof to the Embassy or to the Consulate.


If you are planning to start a business in Thailand, it is advisable to travel to Thailand on Non-Immigrant B visa as it will save your time and money. C2B Legal may be able to help you with getting your initial Non-Immigrant B Visa, and later extensions for the same.

Non-Immigrant OA (Retirement)

Visa for a Retirement

A Thai retirement visa is available for foreign nationals over 50 years of age who wish to retire in Thailand. This visa can be applied for in Thailand or while overseas, at a Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate. When applied for within Thailand it is officially known as a Non-Immigrant O-Long Stay Visa. When applied for outside of Thailand it is known as a Non-Immigrant OA-Long Stay Visa.


A Thai retirement visa will allow you to stay in Thailand for a period of 1 year (12 months), and it can be renewed annually. There are no limitations on the amount of times you can renew a Thai retirement visa as long as you continue to meet all the visa requirements.


To apply for this visa you must be 50 years of age or older. You must meet at least one of the following:

  • Have at least 800,000 Thai baht in a Thai Bank account, which is in your name. This money must have been cleared in the account at least 2 months prior to making your application.
  • Or, have a monthly income or pension of at least 65,000 Thai baht.
  • Or, have an annual income, pension, and money in a Thai bank, which come to a combined total of at least 800,000 Thai Baht.

There are at least two ways on how to get a visa to retire in Thailand:


A foreigner who meets the requirements set by the Thai Embassy (in their country) can directly apply for the Non-Immigrant OA visa from their home country. Or, getting a 1 year visa extension inside Thailand based on retirement requires an initial application for a Non-Immigrant O Visa. The applicant must already meet the financial requirement if they wish to go with the latter.


It is important to note that Thai retirement visa does not allow you to work in Thailand.

Non-Immigrant ED (Education)

Visa to Study or attend Seminar, Training, Internship

A Non-Immigrant ED Visa is also known as Thai Education Visa. This visa is for any foreign national aged 12 or over who intends to stay in Thailand for the purpose of attending a recognized full-time educational course.


To apply for a Non-Immigrant ED Visa you will need to have been accepted on a full-time educational course, training program, or internship in Thailand. The school and course must be recognized by the Thai Government and the course must require students to attend classes for at least 100 hours for every 90-days; this roughly amounts to 8-10 hours per week.


The school or institute at which you will be studying need to supply you (or supply directly to the embassy or consulate at which you are applying) with the following:

  • A letter of acceptance to the school or academic institute/organization.
  • Evidence of enrolment (receipts of tuition fee payments).
  • Course description.
  • School registration documents.

A student must apply for this visa at  Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate outside of the country.  When you enter on your Non-Immigrant ED Visa for the first time, you will be granted 90-days to stay in Thailand. This will be extended to 1-year when you make your first 90-day report, and you must first complete your course registration and pay your tuition fees in full, presenting immigration with a school/institute issued letter confirming you have done so. You will then have to continue to make 90-day reports thereafter.


Most of the schools provide their students with visa assistance in getting Non-Immigrant ED Visa.


It is not permitted to work in Thailand on Non-Immigrant ED Visa.

Non-Immigrant O (Marriage/Spouse)

Visa for those who have Thai wife/Thai Spouse

A Non-Immigrant O Marriage Visa is also called Thai Marriage Visa. The Visa is issued to any foreign national who is legally married to a Thai national. This visa will allow you to stay in Thailand for a period of one year, and it can be renewed annually from within Thailand, as long as you continue to remain married and meet all the criteria for the visa.


Normally a Thai Marriage Visa can be applied for at a Thai Royal Consulate or Embassy outside of Thailand, or at an Immigration Office within Thailand. The initial validity of stay that you will get upon your first Thai Marriage Visa application would be 3 months, before the expiration of that period you can renew it for 1-year.


Financial requirements are important.  A Security deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application; or monthly income of at least THB 40,000. A letter from the foreigner embassy has to be shown to verify this income


The Thailand Marriage Visa also allows the holder to work in Thailand after obtaining a valid Thai Work Permit to go along with the visa.

Non-immigrant O (Dependent)

Visa for Dependents to Stay in Thailand

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to accompany spouse or family members working, studying or living in Thailand. Wive, husband or children under 18 years of age, and others who are dependent on the primary visa holder can be added as “Dependents” in order to legally reside in Thailand, unless they have their own independent visas.


This visa can be applied at a Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate within your country of citizenship or residency, outside of Thailand. Holder of this type of visa is entitled to stay in Thailand for a maximum period of 90 days.  He or she may apply for an extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau and can be granted such extension for a period of one year from the date of first entry into Thailand.

Smart Visa

Visa to attract Skilled Manpower & Investors

The SMART Visa is a new type of visa designed to attract highly skilled manpower and investors to help accelerate the development of the country’s targeted industries. SMART Visa is offered to foreign experts, executives, entrepreneurs and investors who wish to enter into the Kingdom of Thailand to work or to invest in the following “13 S-Curve industries” or the country’s targeted industries namely (1) next-generation automotive, (2) smart electronics, (3) affluent, medical and wellness tourism, (4) agriculture and biotechnology, (5) food for the future, (6) robotics, (7) aviation and logistics, (8) biofuels and biochemicals, (9) digital, (10) medical hub), (11) human resource development in science & technology (12) alternative dispute Resolution and (13) environmental management and renewable energy.


The applicants for SMART Visa must have qualifications according to the criteria specified by the office of the Board of Investment. Their qualifications will be verified by relevant agencies. After technical and non-technical endorsements have been obtained, the SMART Visa unit will then proceed to issue a letter of qualification endorsement which the applicant will bring to the Royal Thai Embassies or Royal Consulates (in case of residing overseas) or the Immigration Bureau at the One Stop Center for Visas and Work Permits or EEC Labour Administration Center in Chonburi in order to file for SMART Visa.

Elite Visa

Long Stay Thailand Privilege Visa

Thailand Elite Visa is a legitimate and legal way to purchase your stay in Thailand for up to 20 years with minimal paperwork. It’s is probably the easiest way to stay in Thailand long term but comes with a cost.


The Elite Visa was designed for those who either do not fit into other visa categories or would prefer to pay a cash lump sum in order to come and go as they wish, without any of the immigration requirements.


The Elite Visa does not give you permission to work or apply for a work permit. Technically it’s a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa. Each entry is for a maximum of 1 year, after which you either need to leave and come back or extend your stay for 1900 baht at immigration.

Almost anyone is eligible assuming you have enough money to pay for the membership, but there are a few conditions:


  • Your application must pass a background check (performed by the immigration bureau).
  • You must be in a healthy mental condition.
  • You must have never overstayed. Even if you receive approval on your background check, you’ll be denied entry later.

Obtaining an Elite Visa is easy, but it does take some time due to security checks and other formalities. You can expect it to take between 6-9 weeks from application to your first entry.


You can apply from anywhere however the first decision you need to make is which membership you need. This will depend whether or not you are alone, purchasing as a family and how long you want the visa to be valid.


There are two type of membership single or family with different packages and starting price is 500,000 Thai Baht for 5 years.  All memberships have the core benefits, whilst there are other benefits only for those on higher membership tiers such as arrival greeting and golf cart, fast track entry and departure, arrival and departure lounges, Airport AOT Limousine Luxury Transfers, and membership assistance for opening a bank account, getting a driving license, filing 90-day reports etc.

Visa Extensions

Facing any Visa problem or in Need of Visa extension?


Due to COVID 19, Most of Thai Embassies and Consulates are not issuing visas.

Happy to assist you with company matters

Contact us
Patong Beach, Kathu
+66 76 684178
Easy to Reach