Regional offices, are not separate legal entities and perform their businesses in Thailand on behalf of its head office abroad. They are not stand alone legal entities, and serve as an extension of their head office overseas. Regional offices are different from branch offices in terms of their structure. They are strictly regulated to performing specific functions designated by statute on behalf of their head office overseas.
A regional office can carry out only seven (7) business activities:
- Communicating, coordinating and directing, on behalf of the head office, the operation of branches and affiliates that are located in the region;
- Providing services in consulting and management;
- Training and personnel development;
- Financial management;
- Marketing control and sales promotion planning;
- Product development;
- Services in research and development
It is also required that the regional’s office head-office must have at least one other branch or affiliate in the Asia region.